April 1, 2009

We Never Stop Learning

I'm not artistic. I believe that I've mentioned that before in this blog. However, one of the courses that I teach is artistic in nature. I've never understood why my ex dept. chair wanted me to teach this class, but it has actually worked out well.

It has worked out well, because I "get" the software that we use in the class. I know it inside and out, but there always been one particular task that I have never been able to figure out how to do in this program. I've actually spent HOURS trying to figure out this answer.

So yesterday I presented this problem to my students. I told them that the first person to figure out how to do this would get a coupon to TGIFriday's for a free appetizer. Incidentally, I had been trying to think of a way to give away these coupons, that I had won at a trivia night several months ago. So this seemed perfect.

TWO MINUTES later, a student called me over because he thought he had figured it out. Sure enough, he had! I gladly gave him a coupon, and then I went over to another student that had her hand up. She had also figured out how to do it...but with a completely different method! So she got a coupon as well. :)

But that just showed me that I can never stop learning from my students. I always want to be receptive to them, and I never want to become arrogant or complacent.

Now I just need to win more coupons. :) Who knows what else I can figure out?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment