March 27, 2009

Hello!!

Hello!!
I know you can see me.
It's because I can see you too.

I see you enter the room,
and avert your gaze.
I notice your tense muscles as you approach.
And I see those same muscles relax after;
after you think that you're past me
and safe.
But I still see it.

I see it because you aren't the only one.
I've danced this dance,
countless times before.
It comes with the territory.

I should get mad or frustrated,
but instead it makes me sad.

Your fear has made us strangers,
and I'll never get to show you things.
Important things, like how I don't bite
and that I'm not contagious.

But for now, I'll just let you be.
I'll let you stand for an hour
on legs that are probably tired

You have made your choice;
fear over comfort.

But if you choose to work past it;
work past the fear.
I know where you can find comfort.

It's by a guy who isn't contagious,
and he doesn't bite.
And you might even find out
that he's just like you.

You can't miss him.
Just look for the empty seat.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this poem after an experience I had on Wednesday. I was at a meeting, and I watched person after person walk right past me, because they didn't want to sit in the empty chair next to me. Many of these people ended up standing, and I had this open seat next to me the WHOLE TIME!

Unfortunately this has happened to me a lot in the past. This would happen a lot on the school bus--especially if I didn't have any of my friends on the bus.

It usually doesn't bother me, but the incident on Wednesday ended up bothering me more than usual, for some reason.

4 comments:

  1. Kev, this is such a great poem. It is sad, and it hurts me to see that some people only see the chair and not you. I know, what they will never know, and that is what a truly great person you are I've seen the little kid, who was so frightened of learning multiplication, that you threw up just from nerves. Then I've seen you grow to the teenager who spoke to an entire congregation at our church. Each person listening intently to this young man, who described the beginning challenges and ending love that grew at a Summer Church Camp. I've seen you grow as a man and son. Save that chair for me, I would be honored to sit by your side. You have sat by my side many times when I needed a shoulder to lean on. Your Dad, brother and sister would agree, you can always count on you for an understanding, sympathetic ear. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Kev:
    What a thought stimulating poem that says a lot about our society.
    Please continue to handle these
    situations as you do. People just
    can't look past that chair. We all
    know what you have to offer. Your
    package is complete with intelligence, sensitivity, compassion, and love for all. Don't ever compromise any of these traits for they are you. I talk to people all the time bragging about your approach to life and all that you have accomplished. Of
    course house keeping not one of your stronger traits (kidding).
    The poem is well done and really expresses a sense of frustration.
    I would be always honored to sit by you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that people have lived their whole lives and never had interactions or relationships with people who have disabilities. I feel so blessed to have grown up with an older brother that I could learn and grow from...as well being carried around on your lap when I was little:) The ironic thing about the whole situation is that your are probably the most approachable person I know. I never met anyone who is as non judgemental and as easy to talk to you as you. You are truly a wonderful sounding board for advice or just when I need someone to listen to me ramble ;) Don't worry about people like that. I wouldn't say for everyone a disability is a blessing for our family has been. We have you!

    Love,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gift you have given Anna (and I know Julia will follow someday) is the ability to see past the unusual and look for the person inside. I see many children pointing and staring at disabilities ranging from paralysis to blindness to amputees, and Anna simply sees the person and not the disability. Not that she isn't concerned about the person, and asks me questions, but her questions turn to amazement as she realizes these people are just like her. You have made her wise beyond her years. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete