February 23, 2009

Happy and Proud

I have used this blog as a forum to vent about the things in my life that I did not like. Even though it can be easy to find multiple things to vent about, I am a pretty positive person. Today, I saw something that made me incredibly happy, and it's a feeling that I'll be able to call upon for quite some time.

I was sick today, so I didn't go into school. However, I remembered a promise that I had made to a friend about something that I was going to do for her today. Unfortunately that promise could only be fulfilled at school, because I needed to scan something for her on my computer.

So I decided to go to school at the end of the day to use my scanner. I was a little apprehensive at first, because I was going to be showing up at the end of the school day, and I would be seeing my 7th hour as they truly were--with a sub. They had no idea I was coming, so I was truly going to catch them in the act--so to speak.

I approached my classroom door, expecting to hear noise. My 7th hour is a very good hour, but I thought that they might take advantage of the fact that I was gone by talking a lot, etc. But, I didn't hear a peep.

I rolled into the classroom, and I saw 100% of the class looking at their computer screens--completely focused on the project that they were working on. In fact, so many of them were focused on what they were doing that they didn't even know that I had entered the room. Once they did though, I had several kids immediately asking me how I was feeling.

I don't like to brag about myself, and I don't always like to be the center of attention, but this was one of the best things that I have experienced professionally in a long time. This class was so quiet, hardworking, and respectful, and it helped me to realize that I was exactly where I should be right now in my teaching career.

After the kiddos left, the sub and I started talking. He asked if I really laid down the law with my classes. I told him that I was more laid-back and not really a yeller or screamer. He told me that my classes were the best that he has ever subbed for. My sub wasn't terribly old, so I'm sure that he didn't have much subbing experience. But this was still a huge compliment to me.

So again, I'm not writing this to say how awesome I am as a teacher. I'm not a braggart. But, I am so proud of my classes, and I love what I do. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I love it when those little buggers surprise us...in a good way! :)

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete