February 8, 2009

The Power of Contentment

I realize that a posting is LONG overdue for me. I have been going through my day-to-day life, and I have just gotten into a routine. Unfortunately that routine has not involved blogging, and I'm going to change that. I have a lot of things that I need to talk about, so this will be a busy week for me.

Tonight I have the concept of "contentment" on my mind. I truly believe that being content is the most powerful thing a person can do. Back when I was doing Eharmony, I would occasionally get the following question from potential dates, "Which would you rather have more of, money or respect?" I would always answer it my own way. I would say, "Contentment, because if I have that I won't need anything else."

Too many people focus on what they don't have. They are constantly obsessing about the small number of things that are wrong in their own lives and totally ignoring all of the good things. And when we truly examine our lives and are cognizant of the good things, we will see that the good will greatly outweigh the bad.

I can't walk, as I've mentioned before. I use a wheelchair, and I will ALWAYS be disabled. That's just a fact that I dealt with that YEARS ago. In fact, I can't remember a time when I ever truly wished that I wasn't disabled. I am 100% content with my disability.

But that doesn't mean that I don't get a little frustrated from time-to-time. I get tired of kidney infections, snow & ice, taking longer to do certain things, etc. But these are fleeting thoughts, and I don't let these thoughts change my day-to-day outlook on life.

Too many people in this world are so negative, and they can't find contentment...even though joy is all around them. These are the kinds of people that hate going to work, but they come home to a loving spouse and family. Unfortunately they can't leave that negative emotion at work, and it seeps into their perfect little family. They need to be happy with the "here and now" and live a happier fuller life.

I know that is easier said than done, and I know that this attitude can make it seem like I am against improving oneself. I am definitely not. I am of the strong belief that if a person is not happy with one aspect of their life, they should work to change it. HOWEVER, they should not dwell on what is lacking in their lives. Our thoughts should always be positive.

People that can't find contentment will NEVER be truly happy. They aren't able to accept compliments, because they don't feel like they deserve it. For example, if you tell a person that is not content that they look great, their response will be that they are still 10 pounds overweight.

If you tell a discontented person that they did a great job at work, they will tell you about some insignificant thing that they did wrong. The favorite word of a discontent is "But". When you tell them anything positive, they will respond with this negative word, because that is all they see. They don't see the great things that are happening in their lives. They only see the negatives.

I am a very positive person. I have been through trials and tribulations that would test many people. Through it all, I've tried to stay content, and I believe that I have been successful.
I'm happy to say that I've never had issues with depression or felt the need to see a therapist. Now that is not discounting anyone that does see a therapist. These doctors serve a valuable purpose--I just haven't needed one.

Sure there are parts of my life that I wish were different. I long for a relationship right now, and I get tired of being alone. I am an extremely loving, kind, funny, and sweet person.

At first I took that sentence out, because I thought that it felt like bragging. But, I do believe these things about myself, and I feel like I DESERVE love in my life.

But, this longing doesn't infect the rest of my life. I believe that God has a plan for my life. He's been instilling more confidence in me, because He knows that my future mate won't show up knocking at my door and say, "Here I am Kevin." He knows that I will have to do the things necessary to bring such a woman into my life.

So when I go to bed tonight, I won't be thinking about those things in my life that are lacking. I won't be thinking about the uncomfortable compression hosiery that my doctor wants me to wear now.

Instead, I'll be thinking about how this uncomfortable compression hosiery will keep me from getting some VERY painful leg infections that I have gotten in the past. Life is about perspective, and my perspective is based on being content.

No comments:

Post a Comment