September 15, 2008

The Water

I love water. I love swimming, boating, fishing, etc. In fact, a lot of the best memories that I have from childhood involve water in some extent. We always had a pool in our backyard when I was growing up, and I can't imagine my life without a pool somewhere near.

That's why the last two months have been especially challenging for me. I found my water cardio class about 6 months ago, and it was an answer to my prayers. It gave me a way to get my heart rate up, and I was actually getting a lot healthier. However, as I mentioned in another post, the heater on the pool was broken, and the class had been canceled. But not anymore.

Today was the first day back, and I am soooo happy about that. I missed the teacher, Michele, and I missed all of the people in the class. I NEVER thought that I would miss anything about exercise, but I really did. But, I mostly missed being active in the pool.

My favorite thing about being in a pool, is the fact that I am just like everyone else. The water keeps me bouyant, so I do not need a wheelchair or crutches. That is such an incredible feeling for someone with a disability. Since I can put weight on my left leg, I am able to get around in the pool ununcumbered. That is such an awesome feeling.

Now, I can't do everything that all of the other people in the class do, but I try to do a variation of their activities. So, a lot of my movements tend to look the same. But that's ok...I'm moving and burning tons of calories. In fact, I know that I am really going to be sore tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it.

It is frustrating though, because so many of us were wiped out after the class, and we all lamented on how we seemed to have lost a lot of the physical benefits that we had gained in the classes prior to the pool closing. But, we're all motivated to get it back.

My back is kind of strangely shaped, and it is obvious that there has been some trauma to it. But, when I am in the water, and my back is covered, I look just like everyone else. In fact, there have been many new people who have noticed how I tend to do my own thing with regard to a lot of the exercises, and they have jokingly commented that I was "cheating."

It's always interesting to see their faces turn to panic & embarrassment when they see me climb out of the pool and get back into my wheelchair. They always apologize, and I always do my best to let them know that I was not bothered by their comment. But that truly shows how I am just like everyone else when I am in the pool.

Actually getting back into my chair is my least favorite part of the whole class. As I have mentioned before, I have been disabled my whole life. I am fine with it, and I don't sit at home at night pining to walk. But, I do get a little deflated sometimes, when I get out of the water, and I have to get back into my chair. It can be demoralizing.

I feel like John Locke, who is one of the characters on the show, Lost. Before the plane crash, he was in a wheelchair. But, he was able to walk, after the plane crash. So while most of the characters on the show want to leave the island, he wants to stay. Because, he doesn't want to go back to being in a wheelchair. Being in the pool, is like being on the island for me. I just don't want to leave it.

I'm so excited to get back into the pool. I know that I have some work ahead to get my fitness level back to where it was, but I will do it...and have fun at the same time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment