September 8, 2008

Karrie

On 9/8/70, my parents had a child that was born with Spina Bifida. If you read my entry from yesterday, you might think that it was me--no it wasn't. My sister, Karrie was born on this day--38 years ago. Unfortunately, she never made it to see her 7th birthday. I have a feeling that this entry will be emotional, but I also want to talk about how special she was--and how amazing my parents are.

When my mom had Karrie, she had no idea that there would be anything wrong with the pregnancy. But, when Karrie was delivered, the doctors discovered that she had a VERY severe form of Spina Bifida. Apparently the delivery was very rough on my mom, so they had to knock her out. When she awoke, she did not see Karrie. At that time, she was very unaware of the plan that the doctors had for my sister.

I'm still not entirely clear about all of the details, but the doctors did not close my sister's back when she was born. They felt that doing such a risky procedure would not benefit her or prolong her life. So she spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time with an open wound in her back. I firmly believe that if she would have had it closed the day of delivery--then she might still be alive today.

In a nutshell, my sister was whisked away to a MENTAL facility on the other side of the state. My parents were basically told that this was really the only option for her. They wanted the doctors to close up her back, but they all felt that it was a "lost cause." So my sister went to that mental hospital--where she shared space with severely mentally ill adults and children; all the while with a gaping wound in her back.

Apparently the nurses loved her, and they helped convince the powers-that-be to send her back home to my parents. But this did not happen right away, so in the interim, my parents found a doctor that was willing to close up her back.

She had that surgery--along with many others during her short life. In fact, most of my memories of her are hospital-related.

Just a few months after her back was closed, my parents discovered that they were pregnant again. Taking care of my sister was a daunting task and now my mom had to be pregnant right in the middle of it.

They were truly hoping that this second child would be healthy. I can only imagine the heartache on my parent's faces when they realized that this second child was also disabled.

But, that heartache also had a little bit of optimism. My birth was much different than my sister's. The doctors could tell that my level of impairment was nowhere near as severe as her's was. They could tell that I was going to be healthy--relatively speaking. So I had my back closed up on my "birthday"--which is how it is supposed to happen.

I have spent two Christmases in the hospital, in my lifetime. The most recent one was in 1990, and that was awful. However, I spent my very first Christmas in 1971, in the hospital. Coincidentally my sister was also in the hospital at that time. So, we shared a hospital room, and that is how my parents celebrated my first Christmas.

My memories of Karrie are fleeting--but special. I remember that she had a very loud & shrill voice for such a little girl. I also remember that she could move very quickly for a little girl with quite a pronounced disability. She would crawl around the house on this yellow piece of plastic, that I think was called a crawlagator.

Karrie had so much energy and enthusiasm...and everyone that met her was instantly drawn to her. I remember that all four of my grandparents had a special bond with her, and a little piece of all of them died, when she did.

One of the greatest things that Karrie did in her short life was to convince my grandpa to stop smoking. Apparently the elevator in the hospital was broken one day when he and my grandmother went to visit her. He struggled and huffed and puffed, but he climbed up all of the stairs to get to her room. When he got there, he saw that she was on a lot of equipment to help her breathe.

Apparently my sister had always been on my grandpa to quit smoking. It was at that time, in the hospital room when it all finally clicked for him. He realized that his granddaughter was struggling to breathe--like he was at that time. Only his situation was caused by putting poison into his body, and her's was because she was an innocent victim. It was at that time that he threw away his cigarettes and quit "cold turkey."

He would go on to say that this was the easiest decision that he had ever made in his life. He lived until 2002, and I belive that he would have died much sooner--had it not been for her.

My parents discovered that they were pregnant again in 1976. They were nervous, but they felt that things would be fine this time. Fortunately my brother was born healthy, and my parents were ecstatic. I can only imagine how joyous the moment was for them--but it was tempered with worry.

My sister was REALLY sick at that time. She had been in the hospital for quite some time, and my parents were preparing themselves for the worst. To be honest, I have a feeling that my sister knew that she wouldn't be around too much longer, as well.

A couple days after my brother David was born, my parents were able to bring him to Karrie's hospital bed. She actually got to hold her newborn baby brother, and she was so happy. Three weeks after that special moment...she was gone.

I know that I have concentrated a lot on Karrie in this post, but I just want to mention how amazing my parents are. They are still married, and they managed to get through something that would tear many marriages apart. I don't have any kids, and I can't imagine what it is like to bury a child, but my parents had to.

There were times when my father actually saved my sister's life. She had a lot of issues with pneumonia, and there were several times when she stopped breathing--due to the gunk in her lungs. My dad held her upside down, by her legs, and gently shook her to get the stuff out. I don't know how medically sound it was, but it worked.

There are a lot of things related to Karrie's birth that I either left out, or just do not know. I have told my mom, on many ocassions, that she should write a book about the whole experience. She is the most amazing person in the world, and I know that the book would be wonderful.

Before, I close this I want to mention my sister. She was born in 1981--5 years after Karrie's death. So she never knew her at all, but my sister is convinced that Karrie is living her life through her.

Erin, my sister, has told me that she has felt Karrie's presence many times throughout her life...especially on the day that she got married. She felt like she was giving Karrie an experience that she was never able to have. I know that that sounds kind of weird, but it really is a special bond between my sister and Karrie.

This post is something that I have wanted to write for a long time, and it is one of the major reasons why I wanted to blog. This will be my last "heavy" topic for quite some time. I'm normally a very funny, light person. But, I just HAD to write this. Thanks for reading it.

3 comments:

  1. I find it difficult to comment because words just don't seem like enough. For you, I am silently nodding in empathy. Inside myself, I am moved by the love and commitment your family has for each other. I am also thankful for the time to come when our families will never experience separation and never know any illness. Love Ya Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin -- I read this blog and just wanted to thank you for sharing your heart and allowing me to know Karrie a little bit through your words. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, you think you remember only little parts of Karrie's life, but you remember all of the important parts to you. You wrote a beautiful blog about Karrie. Living in a family that had so much serious illness, and then the death of your sister had to be the hardest time for you. I have thanked God many times that David was born three weeks before Karrie died. I truly felt that David and you were our little stars that would pull us out of our grief. And, you did. Then came Erin, and I somehow feel that she is right and that little Karrie with all of her mightyness has to be in Erin. Because, she almost came out talking, and telling the world she has a very important place in it, and Karrie did too. Because here it is 38 years later, and we are still talking about her. Yeah for Karrie. Love you all, mom

    ReplyDelete