December 13, 2010

Hangin' With Dweezil

Last Wednesday, I experienced something that was jaw-dropping, mind-blowing, and just a helluva lot of fun. At the advice of a friend, I went with him to the "Zappa Plays Zappa" concert.

"Zappa Plays Zappa" is a tribute concert led by Dweezil Zappa, the son of the late Frank Zappa. I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable about music and music trivia, but up until that evening I had only heard a song or two by the man. All I really knew about him was that he was a long-haired artist from the 70's. Thankfully, during the concert, I learned that his legacy was so much more than that.

From the first note to the last, I sat in disbelief, as I watched a group of talented musicians tackle music that was incredibly complex and challenging. Even though I play piano and understand music, I was impressed, and confused, by the unique time signatures and multi-layered instrumentation coming from the band.

The music at times was melodic and beautiful, while other times it was a cacophony of unique sounds unlike anything that I had ever heard before. Jarring sound effects burst through the air to create a soundscape that was unique and wholly original.

Besides the obvious talent of the band members, the other thing that affected me the most was Dweezil himself. Here was a man that clearly understood the legacy of his father. He demonstrated a reverence toward Zappa's music, and yet he never deified his father to the crowd. He was more than content to be the leader of this "mutual admiration society" for the man.

Since last week's show, I have tried to learn as much as possible about the music of Zappa. With each new factoid that I have learned about him, I have gained more respect for his musical genius.

He was an incredibly prolific artist. During his lifetime, Zappa released a total of 62 albums--sometimes releasing an album every three months. These albums were not full of derivative pop drivel either. Each album was filled with multi-genre, complex songs that are still regarded by skilled musicians as being a challenge to play.

I don't anticipate becoming a hardcore fan of Zappa's and purchasing all 62 albums. With that being said, I do plan on becoming familiar with the "essentials" of his catalog. And you can bet your life that I will be at the next "Zappa Plays Zappa" concert that comes to town.

3 comments:

  1. I watched Hangin' with Dweezil every day when I got home from school...what a great show! Especially that very special episode where they...oh, wait...that was Punky Brewster. Nevermind.

    I'm enjoying your posts...glad you joined the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you played the piano. That's cool. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google Alerts picked this up for me. I'm another Kevin from the UK who's also a big FZ fan. I've seen his son play every time he gets over here and to my mind his gigs are better than his old man's. You're spared the endless guitar solos and long-winded jokes that only the band gets.

    But my main observation is to congratulate you for going along to the gig with an open mind and for helping to spread the word of Zappa's genius.

    ReplyDelete