December 8, 2010

Dipping My Toe Back in the Water

As is painfully evident, I haven't done "jack" with this blog in a long time. It hasn't been due to writer's block or lack of time. It's just one of those things.

BUT, I have been invited to take up a challenge, and this is just what I need to get back into writing. Some colleagues of mine (who are awesome people, by the way) have created a writing challenge. Each day, a new word will be selected as the word of the day. Then, we have to create a blog entry about that word. Today's word is...adore.

Adore


Adoring something or someone is a very strong sentiment to behold. There are some people and places in my life that I will always adore. For example, my family is the most precious thing in the world to me, and that will never change. I also adore the memories that I have from spending summers at the Lake of the Ozarks with my grandparents. Those memories will always be part of what makes me "Kevin".

But it's really interesting for me to think about some of the things/people that I "thought" that I adored at one time. I realize that life is a journey, but there are so many times in my life when my adoration for someone or something was completely off-kilter and out-of-whack. It caused me to lose my focus on what was truly important for me and my life.

Fortunately, as I sit here just days before my 39th birthday, I can say that I have learned to adore simplicity. I no longer feel the need to be around people that aren't a positive influence on my life. I don't need the drama, and I don't need these kind of people in my life.

I adore what I need to be happy. I've got my family, friends, myself, and God. That works for me.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother!
    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adoration for colleagues is shared! Despite the craziness that transpires at work, I know I am blessed every day because of the people I have the opportunity to work with.

    And, I'm so glad you decided to take up the challenge! Great first post! Glad to see us all writing again!

    ReplyDelete