March 18, 2009

Jumbled thoughts

I have had bits and pieces of multiple blog entries in my head for a week or two now, and I have been unable to finish any of them. I'm not sure why this has been the case. But I wanted to do something completely unplanned and stream-of-consciousness for this entry. So take this for what it is--a bunch of random thoughts.

1. I love "March Madness." I'm not a fan of pro basketball at all, but I LOVE college hoops. In fact, the NCAA tournament is my favorite thing in all of sports. I like the whole thing, from filling out my bracket, to first round upsets, to watching that "Cinderella" team go far into the tourney. I know that I'll be glued to the television once the first game tips off.

2. I'm on Spring Break right now, and I'm so thankful. I have some great students, and I'm not particularly stressed at work, but I'm really glad to have a break. I am staying with a great friend of mine that I have known since college. Even though we both live on opposite ends of the state, it has become a tradition for me to stay with him during my break. He's not a teacher, so he does have to work during the day, but we have lots of fun when he's not working.

3. My friend, that I'm staying with, has cable. I haven't had cable for about a year now, and I can't really say that I miss it. I can't believe how many trashy reality shows are on tv now--especially VH1. I actually spent 5 minutes of my life watching a show about Ray J and his quest to find love. That leads me to two questions. Who the hell is Ray J, and why should I care?

4. I am looking forward to this summer, even though I'll (hopefully) be teaching summer school. I taught summer school last year, and it was actually much better than I thought it would be. I don't mind it. The money is pretty good, and I'm still able to spend my afternoons in the pool...or doing other things.

5. I'll probably be going to a couple of concerts this year. I'm an ethical person, but the local concert venue took away an awesome perk that I had been taking advantage of for quite some time. In the past, I would purchase LAWN tickets for a concert, and then get a free upgrade when I reached the venue, because the lawn was not wheelchair-accessible.. So they would always upgrade me and my party to a much better section...at no additional cost. Well, the venue must have realized that most disabled people were doing this, so they made the lawn accessible. :( Oh well, it was a nice ride while it lasted.

6. I went to see a local band on Saturday night with my friend. We got there very early and decided to get a spot in the balcony, so we could see well. For the duration of the concert, I sat on a stool with my wheelchair folded up in front of me. I loved seeing the shocked faces on everyone when I got off the stool and got into the chair. I loved it even more, when they saw me scoot down the stairs with my friend carrying my wheelchair. Of course many of the people were pretty drunk, so that made their reactions even more priceless.

7. I'm feeling very positive about my life now. I've got some health issues figured out, and I feel like my life will continue to get better. Things are good...very good.

8. This is related to #3...why must I need to keep up with the Kardashians?!?!

9. Everyone has songs that they could listen to a million times and not get tired of. Mine are "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns 'N Roses and "The Chair" by George Strait.

10. I procrastinate way too much. In fact, writing this entry has been a way for me to put off an assignment that I should be doing for my grad. class. I'll get back to that soon.

11. I'm VERY EXCITED for a thing at my school called Writers Week. It is actually the subject of one of my blog posts that is in limbo. So, I'll write more later.

12. It bugs me when people say that they don't like a food or drink that they have never tried. How do they know?!? Try it, and then you're allowed to have an opinion. It's like the people that complain about politics, but aren't registered to vote. Register, vote, and then you can bitch and moan!

13. Why do the foods that are so bad for us taste so freakin' good?

14. I used to live my life with plenty of regret and fear, but I'm not doing that anymore. I'm not a "spectator" of my life anymore!

15. This is my last entry so it has to be something profound, important, and relevant. I LIKE CHEESE!

No comments:

Post a Comment